[at-l] sleeping bag fill

At 10:36 PM 12/17/01 -0500, Wisperlight wrote:
> > Down.
> >
> > - Gary from Fairfax, totally disregarding synthetics.
> >
>(sorry in advance i lost my spell checker)
>
>hahaha.  that is pretty funny. ...clip...
>DOWN!!! this stuff is made by a goose. is absorbs water and becomes
>useless...  WHY you ask whoudl you want it. it has an ALMOST infinnite life
>time compaired to synthetics and it comresses better then anythign out
>there. it is lighter then synthetic by far but synthetics are catchgin up to
>it because snthetic bags dont need baffles to keep the insulation in place.
>it is very expensive and if you can keep it dry is the best stuff out there.
>i however dont really like it.  holes in the sleepgin bag loose seems and
>water are common problems i have with clothing and everythign backpacking so
>i avoid down.

This is a pretty good breakdown but you forgot one thing about down.  Some
people are allergic to down (see There Are Mountains to Climb but Jean
Deeds).  Not a lot of people but if you are one of them, down is definitely
out as a choice.  Personally I like my Polarguard 3D bag.  If it gets wet
it's still warm.  Not as warm as when it's dry but it is warm.

sAunTerer