[at-l] Gear list

In a message dated 12/17/2001 11:49:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
askowronek@mindspring.com writes:

>> Loose the pillow. Use a boot or spare clothes for a pillow.

>I did that for the last ten years.  Then earlier this year I
>took the pillow along.  Vast improvement in comfort level.

As I read your post this morning and then Gary's reply, every bone in my body
was saying "don't lose the pillow!".  Dang! I agreed to try going without my
pillow once and every night of that trip I regretted it.  If you pack
correctly, you don't have "spare" pillow clothing if the temperature drops to
the lower edge of your comfortable range. In my case, it was 40* and raining,
I had a fleece bag, one long layer, one short layer and a rain jacket. Should
have been fine for June in Virginia, but I was cold wearing every bit of
clothing. So, not only was I cold, I laid there cursing the members of this
list who persuaded me to not pack my pillow.  A boot is not a good substitute
when it's been pouring out and the boot is cold, wet and muddy.  It was a fun
hike though.

Pillow Packers Unite!

POG

Work like you don't need money, Love like you've never been hurt, And dance
like no one's watching. - unknown

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---