[at-l] Gear list

Gary Ticknor wrote:

> Loose the pillow. Use a boot or spare clothes for a pillow.

I did that for the last ten years.  Then earlier this year I
took the pillow along.  Vast improvement in comfort level.

> Experiment with improvising stakes. I have been weaning myself off them
> for a year now.

You mean with rocks and etc?

> 13 oz seems heavy for a poncho. Make one from 1.1 oz sylnylon?

Been thinking about it, but haven't done it yet.

> Forget the bug mesh - you won't need it.

Au contraire, mon frere.  I dunno about Georgia, but I
very much need it around here.  According to Georgians I
know, it's quite buggy there too.  Maybe I just have a low
bug comfort level.  But any day I don't swallow a gnat is
better than one where I do.

> Foodbag seems heavy. Use a sylnylon stuffsack?

That's food bag plus food bag rope.  So it's not as bad as it looks.
Considering the silnylon though.

> Wind pants? - needed? Poncho AND wind jacket?

The wind pants keep my legs warm in combination with the long
johns.  I wore the long johns, wind pants, and shorts all to bed
on the last trip.  So it's not like they don't get used.  :)
The poncho is my pack cover and groundsheet as well as raincoat.
But it doesn't do a great job of wind protection.  And the wind
jacket keeps bugs and whatnot off my arms in the evenings.

> What pack is that, please? The 4-8 one, I mean.

Name is long gone.  It's an old Campmor-like external frame
pack, bought at REI about 13 years ago.  Top loading, partial
divider, 4 roomy and one flat pocket on the outside.  Extender
bar ditched, hipbelt replaced with a luxocushy model after
colorful bruises blossomed on my hips.

-amy in maryland