[at-l] March Weather in Georgia/Gear

You're likley to encounter cold rain and some snow.  The snow is likely
short lived and should melt within a couple of days as the day time temps
are warm.  What you bring kind of depends on your attitude.  If you carry
some of the heavier winter hardware, you're going to end up mostly carrying
it rather than using it.  If you get a bad storm and have the gear, you
might find a use for it and be able to keep hiking through the worst of the
weather.  If it's really that bad, most people just get off the trail and
give it an extra day rather than carry all that extra protection.

If you're willing to just give it an extra day, then you can really leave
the ice axe, crampons, snowshoes, goggles, and rope at home.

You shouldn't need rope for safety but you should bring bear bag rope.  50'
of parachute cord works well.  Be careful about getting cord that is too
narrow.  Even if it's strong enough, you can really do a job on the tree
bark hauling your heavy food bag up.

Just had a great hike up Tecumseh on Saturday...  Winter's coming...

:-)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99