[at-l] guide books

Black&blue asks:
<<I'm still interested in feedback (per my last post on the subject) about
the databook and what, if anything, I'm missing?>>

It's not necessarily that you're missing anything, in my opinion.  It's
just how you want your information collected and presented.  When I hiked
the AT in '98 I brought the databook as well as maps and pieces of
Wingfoots book.  I loved having the databook because I kept it as a record
of where I stayed every night - sort of part of my journal.  It costs only
$5, less if you're an ATC member and buy it from them.  It lists the
following types of info:

Miles from the last major mark - state line, large town etc
Miles to the next one
Exact mileages in tenths of a mile from and to each major mark
All the points of interest you're passing and their mileages
     incl: shelters, peaks, road crossings, campsites, state lines, gaps
At many road crossings it lists nearest resources ie grocery, laundry,
meals, PO, campsites, etc with approx distance to them

This year a group from Pueto Rico emailed me and asked me for advice about
hiking the section in NY.  They were flying into JFK and needed to know how
to get to the trail, where they could get food along the way etc.  They had
maps and websites, but I sent them my databook and bought a new one because
I thought it was the most concise, comprehensive resource for people hiking
along the AT.  They said it was extremely helpful in their planning.  And
it doesn't weigh much - so for me it's the most bang for the buck - cheap,
light, informative.  The other references (maps and WF's book) were for
*Extra* info, but the databook was the one complete reference for me.

Twilight
GA>ME '98

PS: The Databook also references the ATC map number and section for each
line of info too, so it makes it easy to correlate info from the maps and
the databook.