From: W F Thorneloe [mailto:thornel@attglobal.net]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 3:19 PM
To: gwright@connix.com
Cc: AT-L@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] thru-hike question: Stoves

There are all sorts of good and bad points to each stove. Alcohol doesn't
make a very hot flame, may be somewhat harder to adjust and time, and
leaves one with a nasty burn if it spills or you do something stupid with
it. Alcohol is available along the trail, but the cost and way it is sold
may be less convenient than other options. It is very light and one can
replace a stove for pennies, as well as carry more than one for very little
trouble.

Canister stoves are much hotter and only a bit more heavy. If you do
something stupid (like surround it with a wind shield and overheat it) it
can leave one with a nasty explosion. The canisters seem to be very
available and increasingly common. They are light and convenient to carry
two, finding a way to mark to one in use and save the new one (I simply
leave the cap on the unused one). They have some problems in cold weather,
and appreciate staying in your sleeping bag along with your water when it
is below freezing. There are few parts to break or repair.

White gas is hotter and very reliable. It will burn after Heck freezes
over. White gas can be found everywhere, but the stove and fuel storage
adds up to much more weight. Stupidity, leaking bottles and old gaskets can
result in spectacular fires and injuries. One can carry a repair kit and do
field service easily.

Then there are choices like Esbit and other pellet stoves, Zip stoves that
burn twigs and leaves, solar heat collectors and other fascinating
technology.

OrangeBug