[at-l] thru-hike question: Stoves

It seems like the trend for thru-hikers is away from white gas
stoves like the MSR Whisperlite and towards alcohol stoves.  I
recently tried out the MSR pocket rocket (3oz) which uses butane/propane
canisters.  The stove+canister weight isn't bad at all and it really
pours out the heat and can even be used to simmer.  I'm wondering
how available the canisters are on the trail though.  I understand
that they can be mailed if the box is appropriately labeled but
that they have to be shipped by ground rather than priority mail
or something similar.  It would also seem that I'd have to carry
two canisters to avoid running out between supplies.

Any words of wisdom from the campfire?