[at-l] gun toters

Hi,
This thread made me recall one of the more unusual
phrases I uttered on my hike: "I'm not a fisherman,
please don't shoot!"
I had pushed for miles until dark, and had unawares
pitched next to a private pond whose owner had been
battling poachers. As I was writing by candlelight,
owner and german shepard approached with growling and
angry statement of "I'm going to shoot the next
[expletive deleted] fisherman I catch!", followed by
that distinctive sound a shotgun makes when chambering
a round. Once he saw that I wasn't out to steal his
fish, and after i apologized for camping next to his
pond, he was really very pleasant, although he never
did eject that round, and I think the dog was
dissapointed that I wasn't a fisherman.

ATRerunner

--- Phil Heffington <Phil.Heffington@oc.edu> wrote:
> TJ wrote (in response to my comment that gun toters
> make me nervous)
>
> why??
>
> it was knowledgeable gun toters that gave you the
> freedoms this country
> enjoys!!!!
>
> it will be knowledgeable gun toters that keep this
> country free.
>

> I believe I answered the "why" in my first post, ie,
> because there are
> both responsible and irresponsible, sane and crazy,
> knowlegeable gun
> toters.  It makes me nervous because I'm not smart
> enough to be able to
> distinguish between them.

=====
ATRerunner