[at-l] Deer hunting on the trail.

>From: "Steve Adams"
I resisted comment, when this subject was first posted, not wanting to
interject cold, unfeeling thoughts.  I deleted subsequent files, unread,
until I opened Dave's December 13, 2001 post.  For some reason, probably not
a nice one, I feel like piling on now.

The father's behavior suggests strongly he was willing to shoot anyone under
fairly routine hunting conditions.  The son elected to remove his
safety-orange vest under circumstances when it is most needed.

I dismiss consequences of such acts as, "Cleaning up the Gene Pool."
Steve, the callous.

Steve, I can only wish you had been able to control yourself and keep
resisting comment.  Frankly the majority of your post turns my stomach.
The father's behavior is something you have no clue on.  Do you have any
true experience as a hunter?  I doubt it, your post hints at ignorance on
the subject.  Granted, the son did remove his vest at the worst time and
once he lost sense of where his son was he should have whistled or
something.
What most non-hunters fail to realize is the respect hunters have for the
animals.  When a hunter shoots a deer and it is not dead he/she will take
that poor shot opportunity (through heavy brush etc.) in hopes of putting
the animal down. <<I agree that this guy should NOT have shot>> I have no
doubt this man wanted to put this deer down.  As a hunter I feel he most
likely wanted to end any suffering the animal was experiencing.  As an
anti-hunter you may think what you want.  Unfortunately most people do not
have any woodsmanship and know only what some self proclaimed "expert" tells
them and believes it, right or wrong.

Your comment on cleaning out the gene pool, I would assume, applies to
hunters and non-hunters alike, right Steve?  So if you fall off a rock and
crack your head open just remember your own words.

I'll not trouble the list with this any longer.  If you care to carry on, do
it in e-mail but make it good.  I'll most likely not waste my time with
crap, just facts.
Rich Bowyer