[at-l] It's a small (AT) world...

It is no secret that the long distance hiking
community is a small one. If we do not know each other
personally, we tend to know of each other.

The outdoor group I belong to had a Christmas pot
luck. In the middle of the goofy gift exchange (I am
now the proud owner of a penguin pinky ring and silver
antler horns....) a person comes up to me and says:

 "Are you Paul Magnanti...and did you do the AT in
'98"

 "Er...yeah".

"I'm Bugbite. I saw your name on the phonelist and
remember your name from Gorham. I did the AT
southbound in '98."

"Hey..I do know you!"

We then proceeded to do the usual "War stories" that
happens when two hikers get together. Esp. those who
who hiked the same year. To make this even odder, we
were both at the Gathering this year, and both went to
the same Colorado Trail slide show that Skeeter gave a
presentation on. AND..turns out this hiker was helped
to Tuolome Meadows by a thru-hiking couple we all know
on the PCT last year. (Hint: Their last name is Owen.
:D)

Gotta love this community....get two hikers together,
and find out all about the six degrees of seperation
theory. :-)

=====