[at-l] hiking poles

I have several wooden hiking poles.  They all have straps attached, it's a
very simple procedure requiring a strap easily acquired at any outdoor
store and about 18 inches of 1/8" solid braid nylon rope.  The procedure
takes about one minute per pole and requires no drilling.  I learned the
technique from my Dad who spent his youth aboard Lake Michigan commercial
fishing boats and thus acquired considerable skill at knots, lashings, etc.
By the way, my poles are all American Elm.  We have about 300 of them on
our ten acres.  Dutch Elm Disease being what it is, they never live longer
than 30 years or grow taller than 50 feet, so there is a never ending
supply of properly sized elm branches available.  Bill Bryson's claim
notwithstanding, American Elms are not extinct, they are however, going
through some very tough times.  Eventually the species will develop
resistance and maybe grow into the giants I remember from when I was very
very young.  But not in my lifetime......

Pat Loomis (who's grandmother had one huge elm in her front yard back in
the early sixties, 4 or 5' in diameter at the base and a hundred feet tall,
gone now, of course)
p.s.  the bark beetles make some incredible designs on some of my hiking
poles

"Phil Heffington" <Phil.Heffington@oc.edu>@mailman.backcountry.net on
12/13/2001 10:31:50 AM

Sent by:  at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net

cc:
Subject:  [at-l] hiking poles

I'm not really interested in resurrecting a debate about the pros and
cons of using hiking poles.  I've pretty much resolved my own
preferences in that regard.  It's a kind of "That's my story,and I'm
sticking to it." sort of thing.  I'll totally concede the point that
poles with unprotected carbide tips are going to scratch up the trail,
etc.

There are some objective differences in using a hiking stick and
trekking poles, however.  It is not just a matter of how long they are,
what material they are made of, and whether or not they shock absorb, or
what they cost.

I find one of the big differences in the two is in how they are used by
the hiker.  I find that the straps on the trekking poles are the most
important feature.  Mine are adjusted so that my my hand does not grip
the handle on the planting step for the pole.  It is, rather, on the
strap, more with the bottom (?) and back of my hand.  It is somewhat
difficult to attach straps to a wooden pole so that they give the same
effect.

Trekking poles are also somewhat more functional if you are using them
to balance yourself while going down an incline that is somewhat steep.
It is much easier to hold them and push down on the top of the handle if
you are trying to keep yourself from sliding.