[at-l] Re: guad mt

I have hiked extensively in the Guadalupe Mountains
National Park, including several trips up Guadalupe
Peak.  This is the high point of Texas at approx 8800
ft, so you may be breathing hard if you live at sea
level.  The hike is on good tread for all of the
approx 4 miles and 3000+ ft to the summit and not too
steep until the last 150 feet or so.  It is all up,
though.  Wonderful views.  Expect some ice and snow
from Nov through March.  High winds are the norm in
the park, sometimes sustained at 100mph, so snow does
not stay on steeper slopes very long and shouldn't be
too deep.  Only a few spots may need an ice axe if
there is a lot of snow/ice.  The views are
tremendously beautiful, climaxing at the summit with
panoramic views.

As pretty as the Guadalupe Peak hike is, the park's
true jewel is the area called "The Bowl," which can be
seen as a heavily forested dished area north of Guad.
Pk.  From the road, you cannot see that the desert
gives way to thick ponderosa pine, spruce/fir forests
where elk and bear roam.  When you have hiked 4000
feet up, you see the magical transformation and sky
island oasis.  Several great backpacking sites, but
you have to hike up the Pine Springs Trail; you can't
reach the Bowl from Guad Pk.  There is no road access
into the interior of this park.  Rugged elevation
gains, but good trail quality.  Rocky, dry, no water
in the backcountry at all.  The few springs are kept
hidden and inaccessible for humans so that the animals
can drink in peace.  One annual creek runs through
McKittrick Canyon, one of the most photographed places
in Texas where fall color is outstanding (oaks, elms,
maples, etc.).

The park is the eastern-most, western-most, northern-
and southern-most habitat of countless birds, mammals,
trees, plants and insects, making it a unique blend of
natural bounty.  A meeting place, or relic, of sorts.

You should definately check out their website or call
them for details.  It's my favorite place on Earth,
and I have hiked the entire AT and 1/3 of the PCT and
in 30 US states, so that says a lot about the place.
Very special.

Happy Hike,
Nocona
GA-ME98