Suwannee canoeing (was Re: [at-l] Southern RUCKformation)

Robert Tomlinson wrote:

> I went canoeing on the Suwannee last October (2000) - the section near
> White Springs, just south of where it starts in the Okefenokee. The
> water levels were then, and I think now, extremely low, and so while
> it was a very nice trip, it was ALL paddling - no current help at all.

Yes, water has been low. But today, it's raining! Whooeee! (Except that I
work in it...)

And with day canoeing to see the over-wintering swamp birds and such, miles
wouldn't be as much of a factor as if one was doing a float-'n-camp.

Was thinking back to the Ruck-On-Foot of Labor Day week. The "doing" with a
bunch of adventuresome fellow listers was enormous fun. Just trying to stir
the pot a little, on this cold, rainy day.

Well, I might try a trek that way no matter what. Was just trying to kill
two birds with one stone. If I were to combine it, I'd love to do the
camp-thru-the-swamp trek earlier in the week, and time my return for a
Ruck-ish weekend of camping play. Any waterbugs out there?

(I love self-employment. The pay sucks sometimes, but the hours are flexible
and the boss is amenable).
Alright, enough dreaming. All cocoa'ed up now. Back out into the rain to do
another horse...

Robert Tomlinson wrote:

> I went canoeing on the Suwannee last October (2000) - the section near
> White Springs, just south of where it starts in the Okefenokee. The
> water levels were then, and I think now, extremely low, and so while
> it was a very nice trip, it was ALL paddling - no current help at all.
> The practical effect of this is that it limits how many miles you can
> make in a day and there are some pretty long sections of the river
> where there is no camping and you want to be careful that you allow
> for those.
>
> RET in Sunny Fla

    Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

http://www.mindspring.com/~janl2