[at-l] Southern RUCKformation

Abe wrote:

>Shouldnt I attend one before I coordinate one??  ;-)

Abe -
Why?  I didn't - neither did Orange Bug. :-)))

It's more fun if you don't know what you're doing, isn't it?

Seriously(???) - it's nothing more than a hiker weekend.  The original
intent was to talk to prospective thruhikers so they'd have some idea that
hiking the AT isn't an "impossible task".  Generally when they meet me they
think "If he can do it, I sure can".  Some do it, some don't - but at least
they know that thruhikers don't have to be 10 ft tall and carry 80 # packs
:-))

The idea is to get some of their questions answered - like how to build an
alcohol stove? or what do I "need" to carry? or  what kind of boots should I
use? or --- any of the other 10,000 questions that sometinmes don't get
answered before they get on the Trail.  But mostly, it's to let them know
that while thruhikers may be crazy, they're not super-hikers, either.  And
believe me - AT thruhikers are NOT "super-hikers".

Back to the Ruck - basic requirements are a place to talk, a place to sleep
and someplace (somehow) to eat.  If you get a bunch of hikers together,
they'll find ways to entertain themselves.  Slides are nice - but not
necessary, photo albums are great, workshops are generally overdone (too
many - but some people think they're necessary), gear talk/demos/Tuckerizing
is good.  I'm sure you'd have some other ideas, too.

Go for it --

Walk softly,
Jim

PS - I've been trying for 4 years to get people to start other Rucks in
other places - North is good, Arizona would be good, Oregon would be good,
Illinois would be good, Michigan would be good -- anyplace there are hikers
is good.  Any volunteers?