[at-l] Alcohol stovers

HI,

> Other than that, I'm just
> tinkering.  I'd
> like to know more to tinker a little more effectively.
>
> I'm going to dinner tonight.  Maybe tomorrow I'll cook dinner off my
> soda can  stove!
> -Teresa

I'm enjoying your enthusiasm and initiative in your thru prep! I catch a
buzz just reading about your experiments.

 When I started backpacking seriously this spring, I was doing it on the
cheap, and Wendy my Gear Guru started me right out on an Esbitt stove,
and/or alcohol. What did I know? So, it worked fine.

I had alot of help from AT-L listers in upgrading my technically complex
open tuna can to one of the "vaporizing" models. but sometimes I just like
the utter simplicity of my open can. Plus I can pour unused alcohol back. I
need a windscreen and pot lid to get any kind of boil tho.

 I never had a chance to get spoiled by those blast furnaces. Plus I found
all that stove pumping, clogging. cleaning and attaching a bit intimidating,
truth be told. I love my alcohol stove, and it can do everything I need it
to do when backpacking.

But this week, on a canoe trip - Chase, Woodelf, forgive me - I fell off the
wagon. Thump! Hard.
(.."hey!"...light dawns... "I can take a little more STUFF!...), I
discovered a friend's MSR butane stove... wow! I had scrambled eggs and
bacon in no time flat! Mmmm, food... And the simmer...

Well, the first 2.000-ft elevation-gain pull will set me straight again.

Anyway, hoping we can see some soda can stove action at the Ruck this
January. I'm bringing empty cans and hardware cloth to the Southern Ruck at
Amicalola.

Best,
Jan in NC

--