[at-l] Plan B

If the hiker did not bring his phone, or if he fell in a gap that had
poor cell phone signal, he would have been in a similar situation.

The important thing this hiker did was to assess his situation clearly
and to avoid panic. He began his rescue by getting warm, gathering
shelter and avoiding shock. He didn't leave the trail, and awaited a
passing hiker to either get additional assistance or a message for
help. He might have benefited from clapping or blowing a whistle 3
times, a signal to alert others of an emergency.

He also made an interesting judgement call to have the passing hiker
leave him and go for help. In general, it is better to keep a healthy
hiker with the injured, and use the next passer-by for message service.

At the very worse, this hiker could have arranged a crude splint with
his poles and sleeping mat, and crawled to the next shelter. He would
have eventually gotten help, would have been close to water and
shelter, and be in an easily identified location.

I really liked his story, and know that his rescuers enjoyed his
helpfulness and participation in his rescue. I hope he sends a copy of
his note to the EMS services involved, as well as the Governor of
Virginia.

Bill...