altitude matters, no it don't, yes it do, no it.... RE: [at-l] Re: mtnsin afghanistan/ map!

### Anyone running the Leadville 100 mile is encouraged to
arrive three weeks beforehand if they wish to be competitive.
### I suffer from exercise-induced asthma, and have felt my
lungs start to close up while pushing up Grandfather Mtn
(marathon ends around 5,300') on a hot and humid day (the
humidity should've helped). Running Mt. Mitchell last year (40
miles), with it actually being pretty dry up on top (6,700'),
and the temps around 30*, and really cranking the last 1000',
was not much of a problem this past February. Lately (and
lastly), wrestling with my boys in the bedroom (600') has
congested me pretty quickly these last few weeks. Asthma is not
AMS, but they are related. And....
### Obviously, my mileage varies some, as might yours.
### Guess at this point is that next year, the boys and I will
be hitting the Colorado Trail instead of the Whites/Mahoosucs.
We will be planning an easy week to start, both for Cole and for
his dad. Yeeeesh.

Breath well,
Sloetoe

--- Christopher Willett <cwillett@math.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> AMS can occur as low as 5,000, but rarely does.  8,000 is
> certainly a more reasonable level for AMS to begin.  There is
no way to predict how a person will react to altitude (although
> genetics might play some sort of a role), but anyone can
> acclimatize and usually rapidly.  I was born and raised in
> the flatlands of Illinois and have no problem with altitude.
> Acclimatization schedules
> for climbers usually do not begin until 11-12,000k is reached,
> and then it is 1,000 of up per day.

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!