[at-l] Plan B

Pat Villeneuve wrote:

> We recently read a trip report of a slip-and-fall that resulted in
> broken bones and a cell-phone-aided evacuation. I am not casting
> aspersions on the unfortunate hiker, but for the sake of the nervous
> folks reading along at home, what coulda/shoulda/woulda the hiker done
> had he not had a cell phone? And what might have happened then?

I missed that trip report, but I can comment on getting hurt without
cellphones.  Since cellphones haven't been around that long, there's
a well established procedure for what to do if you get hurt.  My mom
has fears along these lines and I've had to spell out for her what I'd
do if I got hurt.  I have actually carried a cellphone before, but IME
it doesn't work anywhere but on high ridges.

0) DON'T PANIC.  If you must panic, try to do it quietly and without
	scattering your gear.
1)  Assess the damage.
2)  Repair yourself as best you can.  Wrap cuts, abrasions, sprains,
	or breaks.  Make a splint out of local wood or pack or tent
	parts if necessary.
3)  If you're still mobile, try to get to a road or somewhere
	 you think you'll find help.
4)  If you're not mobile, stay put.  :)  Try to make yourself very
	visible, blow on your whistle, and otherwise try to attract
	attention from somebody in the area who can go for help.

If you've been a good hiker and left a plan with someone, they should
realize at some point that you've missed your deadline for reporting
in and come looking for you.

-amy in maryland, who tries to stick to the kind of accidents one can
	walk away from