[at-l] Maps & Marriage

Greetings,

I have the New England AT CD; it has maps and guidebooks.  I print maps for
each day on a little heavier paper (24 lb.) they're good for just a day if
there's any moisture about.  I've printed them on a full sheet (8.5 x 11)
and laminated them before, and they'll last a week.  I prepare a trail guide
for each section hike, formatting a full page into quarters so I can read
them when they're folded (about the size of a Data Book page).  I paste the
guidebook data from the CD, Companion data, information I glean from trail
journals, and trip specific info on travel days.  I end up with a page or
less for each day hiking.  Not feasible for a thruhiker, but it works okay
for my section hikes (generally 80 to 120 miles).

As a sectioneer, planning and anticipation play a big role in my AT
experience.  I generally have a pretty good idea where I'll stay each night,
and I've always planned out how I'm getting to and from the trailheads.
Planes, trains, buses and automobiles - sometimes all on the same trip.

Beyond the great enjoyment I get from reading trail journals, I've obtained
great tips in preparing for my section hikes.  The glowing reports of
Lookout Cabin between Sherburne Pass and Hanover were influential in
choosing to stay there.  That clear, moonless night was one of the
highlights I highly recommend it.  Since we hiked Sherburn to Kinsman in
October we had the benefit of pretty current reports.

Curtis, regarding your matrimonial murmurings, I must decline.  You see, I'm
from Alabama, and if we're not already related I don't see why we'd want to
jump the broom.  Besides, with you being in prison and Weary wanting you in
the liberal cell, I'm already spending enough time visiting incarcerated
relatives and Felix.

You ARE WingFelix, aren't you?

Take Care,

Tim (of the non-forking family tree)