[at-l] Re: mtnsin afghanistan/ map!

AMS can occur as low as 5,000, but rarely does.  8,000 is certainly
a more reasonable level for AMS to begin.  There is no way
to predict how a person will react to altitude (although
genetics might play some sort of a role), but anyone can
acclimatize and usually rapidly.  I was born and raised in
the flatlands of Illinois and have no problem with altitude.
Acclimatization schedules
for climbers usually do not begin until 11-12,000k is reached,
and then it is 1,000 of up per day.

Chris
Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu