Segway, Re: [at-l] Ginger!! Thanks I'll walk.

> It is an impressive piece of technology but I doubt it could handle rocks
> and roots not to mention near vertical rock scrambles.

	Kamen, Segway's inventor, also created a wheelchair that climbs stairs,
among its other abilities. This model is designed primarily for
'civilized' use, but apparently can handle some limited terrain. I
expect that an all-terrain version is possible, if there turns out to be
a market for it.

	And even at 65 pounds, hauling it up vertical scrambles is possible. I
expect, however, that were this to become a trail vehicle, the trails
would be made easier for them. That's an idea I don't care for.

>  What bothers me is
> that it is billed as a way to cut pollution but it travels a maximum of 15
> miles between recharges so it will be getting recharged every night.  That
> will increase the need for generation plants which are built away from
> cities (like out where I live).  In other words it won't cut pollution so
> much as move it from the city to the country.  I guess it preferable to
> electric cars though.
>
> sAunTerer

	Supposedly the amount of electricity required is on the order of
pennies a day - I'm probably using more on-line every day. And that
power can come from anywhere. As a way to reduce our dependency of cars,
I'm hopeful.

	Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com