[at-l] Going solo ( long - delete at will )

my first solo was I think my second or third backpacking trip.  I took the
dog ( my wimpy greyhound ) and drove up to Caledonia state park.  I think it
was dec / jan??  but it wasn't too cold & no snow.  I just wanted to do a
short loop w/ an overnight at the shelter to try out gear, get experience &
go home the next evening.  We arrived at the park in late afternoon.

we had a lovely time looking for the AT - the maps were horrid at showing
where the trail was in relation to the parking lots & other fixtures in the
part.  We walked from the car all the way back to the entrance gate. across
some looonnnnggg cattle grid bridges where I had to carry the dog while
wearing my pack & not dropping the Leki's... only to find that the trail
went right along the back side of the parking lot I parked in.  So back over
the cattle grid bridges we went... she wasn't getting too good of an
impression of this hiking thing and neither was I.  A heavy newby filled
backpack on my back and a 60 pound boney greyhound in my arms w/ leki's
hanging from my wrists tripping us.  We must have been a sight.

After finally finding the trail - up we went.  it started getting dusky and
I got worried we wasted soo much time finding the trail that we wouldn't get
to the shelter before dark.  I'd never stayed in a shelter before and the
idea of getting somewhere unfamiliar after dark frankly was more than I
could take.  So, I found a wide spot next to the trail, setup the tent and
tried to convince the dog she wanted to go inside.  She wasn't having any of
it.  She kept trying to go back down the trail to the car... i'm sure she
was looking at me thinking "ok, now its getting dark - what the $%&^^(&^ are
we doing still out here human?!"  I had to chase her.  she is much faster
than I.  Luckily I carried the secret greyhound attractor - bread - so I
won.  Little did I know I stopped about 15 minutes from the shelter.

I finally caught the dog, pushed her into the tent from behind and quickly
sealed us in & started fighting for my sleeping bag.  So far she was keeping
me pretty occupied and I didn't feel truly alone and all the noises I was
hearing were my own.  Of course, greyhounds are worthless as any kind of
protection animal - so you don't get that extra bit of secure feeling - but
they are nice company if you can keep them off your thermarest!

So now the long night began.  I don't know who was freaking out more - the
dog or I.  Every noise to me was some large animal coming to get us.
Everytime I would manage to drift off she would wake me up stepping on me
while she pushed her head into the mesh wall staring out at the extremely
dark woods.  making me think that she was really looking at something
important or scary cuz she was sooo intent.  She's not usually a very
'Intent' animal for longer than 30 seconds at a time so spending 5 mins
staring w/ ears up is a huge investement for her.  I automatically assumed
there must be something out there worth all that attention.  ya know, like
maybe even a BEAR!   Now in retrospect I think her tiny triangular brain was
just looking for the car... or thinking of peeing. ( they are sweet, but not
the brightest of breeds )

The next day was wonderful and I felt like a backpacker after spending the
night out there alone and meeting other hikers on the trail and having
'trail talk'.  We hung out at the shelter for breakfast ( my first A.T
privy! ), did our little loop, I got some experiences w/ blowdowns, gear,
setting up a tent and happily learned my dog doesn't leave the trail to
explore the woods or chase animals.  she was somehow happy just sniffing
along the edges & staying close.

My next solo overnighter I left the dog at home and had a much nicer night.
After the long dog night, the noises just didn't seem that bad anymore and
every trip after that they bothered me less.  Now they make me smile and
think to myself "I'm back in the woods" with a happy sigh.

Paula