[at-l] Hiking solo

Pat Villeneuve wrote:

> Somebody told me that a bear sounds like a Chevy suburban crashing through the
> woods. Just a point of comparison...

Only a very sneaky Chevy Suburban.  A Chevy Rural would probably
be more on the order of a bear.

I generally camp in Shenandoah so I've seen a lot of bears, at all
times of day and night.  They often make less noise than the deer.
I wish they'd make more noise.  Having a bear sneak up on me scares
the bejeezus out of me.  It's the reason I don't sleep in a tent
anymore.  I'm all out of spare bejeezus to lose.

For prey animals, deer are very loud IMO.  And clumsy.  I'm glad they
came out with that reflective guyline.  It's not for me, it's for the
deer.  Don't want 'em tripping over my tent again.  (If I used one.  Now
they'd have to trip over my tarp's guyline.)

-amy in maryland