[at-l] Going solo

> --- Farina6@aol.com wrote:
>
>>I want to know about your first solo backpacking trips, or
>>overnighters.

You know, I thought this would be something I'd remember clearly.
One's first solo trip should stand out, shouldn't it?  But I'm
not sure.

I think it was fiveish years ago.  I went to Dolly Sods.  I'd
never been there before, and a hurricane wasn't quite done going
through.  Shenandoah was closed so that wasn't an option.

I went in and got totally soaked for two days, then encountered
a former stream too big for me to cross safely, so I headed uphill
until I found a road and walked back to my car.

Then on the ride home it turned out Shenandoah was open after all,
so I stayed there and toured the storm damage for a few days.

I was most uncomfortable in the campground at Shenandoah.  (No
backcountry camping allowed due to the hurricane.)  There were people
all over the place!  You couldn't even get out of your tent and pee
at night because there were tents all over the place.  You had to
hike to a special building.  Sheesh.  ;)

My scariest nights in tents have all been with other folks around.
My most bored nights, however, have been by myself.  Now I bring
a good book.  Also I don't bring a tent.  Much less scary.

-amy in maryland