[at-l] Book list for the holidays.....

--- Jack Tarlin <baltimorejack@hotmail.com> wrote: Dunno why
> I'm reading all of these now; maybe when you're marking time
waiting to freeze your butt off in another miserable New
Hampshire winter, it's gratifying to read about some poor
miserable S.O.B. who's got it worse than you.  It puts things
marvelously into perspective.

### When I was in high school, I was tasked with reading Hesse's
"Sidhartha" -- I found it profoundly boring, couldn't get past
the first chapter, and blew it off (to predictable results, but
that's another story...)
### I should have read it.
### Kharma collected the debt by stranding me for 10 days in the
Holy Family Hospice in Hot Springs, waiting on a 24-hour money
order that instead took 240 hours. Ate through my high-priced
trail food, saw all my slack days evaporate, saw all my trail
chums go on, and come and go, and come and go.....
### "I have learned to be patient. To sit and fast and be
patient......"
### I read Sidhartha, like it was a freaking message personal to
me. It was the ONLY thing that got me through that madness (the
daily trips down to the Wachovia Bank&Trust branch, to see ol'
HC Wood (still working there, as of 1998!!!), to see if my
money'ed come in. 5 years later, I saw my first ATM card and
almost pooped a brick. "I WANT ONE OF THOSEEEEE!"

### "Sidhartha" comes recommended by me as an excellent
throughhike book.

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!