[at-l] Three Mile (On-List, Off-Topic)

LOL  well that was back in the days when folks only wore underwear ( well
some folks didn't wear any) under protective clothing. Women were just
starting to get on the hot side of the plants, so appropriateness of
underwear would occasionally become an issue. In 30 years I never managed to
get a vacation that wasn't interrupted by work.
Some are sort of funny to look back on, but weren't at the time. About a
year and a half after TMI ( folks were still pretty nervous about nuc
plants) my wife and I decided to do a nice relaxing section hike on the AT
in NH. We got my brother-in-law  (who also worked at the plant) and the
wife's sister to drop off at the trail head and shuttle my truck to the
other end of our section. We had a nice hike to the shelter where we planed
to spend the first night. At about 8 pm my pager went off, I decided I
wasn't going to hike 8 miles back to the trail head and hitch hike to a
phone, so we decided if they were still paging in the morning we would push
thru the 20ish miles to the truck the next day. The shelter was getting full
so we decided to move down the trail about a hundred yards and find a spot
to tent for the night off the trail. At about 2 am, we were awakened by
noise in the direction of the shelter. Shortly after we could hear folks
ramin around in the pucker brush shouting my name, so I figured I had better
get up and see what was going on. Because I hadn't returned the page, the
plant had called the NH state police, and asked them to look  for me and
tell me I was needed at the plant. Well since folks were spooked about nuc
power they called out a full blown search. We were found by a NH State
Trooper and Game Warden. While we were breaking camp and packing up, they
were doing there radio thing, and shortly another Trooper, Warden, a sheriff
and a half dozen volunteers with Coleman lanterns showed up from the other
direction on the trail. As we passed the shelter on the way out, 2 wardens
in the lead, my wife and me, 3 cops, and the rest of the posse bring up the
rear, my wife commented to my, "Those people must thing we are murderers or
something." Needless to say we stayed away from the AT for a while after
that, didn't want to run into any of the folks from that shelter, we felt
like public enemies 1 and 2 on the AT. LOL
I don't do the NUC thing anymore, I miss the money, though it wasn't enough
to be worth the hassle. Now I'm "over qualified, under educated, and
unemployed", and don't have to worry about work interrupting vacations
anymore.