[at-l] Going solo

And don't be embarassed about being uneasy. It happens to everybody when they're first learning to camp alone. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 270 pounds, and larger than most of the bears I encountered back in '97, but on my thruhike I was very very nervous the first time I camped alone, away from a shelter and other hikers. It was about my third or fourth night out. In fact, looking back on that night, I'm really embarassed about what I did to keep the critters away.

Not long before leaving on my thruhike I'd read Farly Mowat's wonderfully funny book, NEVER CRY WOLF, and what stuck in my mind was the section where he decided to "stake out" his territory among the wolves he was studying, which he did by drinking a lot of coffee and carefully urinating all around his camp to mark it off from the wolves' territory. It worked. The wolves discovered and inspected his "markings," and acknowledged them.

Well, on my first night alone in the woods . . .  You guessed it.

Looking back, of course, it now seems really silly. I didn't tell anybody--it would have gotten me a different Trail name, for sure. And after a few weeks out there, I thought nothing about just pitching my tent wherever. But the idea of camping alone takes some getting used to. You will, however, get used to it.

--Rhymin' Worm '97

Pat Villeneuve <patv@ukans.edu> wrote:
> Lovely post, Curtis. Thanks. I still occasionally hear from someone who isconcerned about me being out there "alone." Hey, I'm not concerned--and they
wouldn't be either if they knew what it was like out there wit h the AT
community.

In deference to those who have heard this story already, I'm offering the
Readers' Digest version. A very young man working at an outdoors show became
startled when he realized I was going backpacking alone. "But what are you
taking for protection?" he sputtered. Confused, I ventured, "Um, you mean like
condoms???..."

Give Me Chocolate