[at-l] Maps

Warning, I am a section hiker. You should plan to hike your own hike,
regardless of the advice rendered.

Nothing is essential, especially given that the AT is well marked and quite
linear. The Data Book and such do help you know where things can be found,
especially water. The maps can let you feel reassured or feel challenged by
the terrain. The guides are probably most important to be read prior to the
section, unless the extra weight and reading material is something you just
really like.

But if the price of the maps and guides are a serious handicap to your
hiking budget, you might already be in trouble. I like having the maps
after my walks to look at my markings of where I was, and when I was there.
I like to mark on the map at the end of each day's walk. It becomes a
portion of my trail journal. I suspect this is similar for thru hikers also.

OrangeBug