[at-l] Re: I am Not Funny

The etiology of "Leather Grits" has been reported on another list ad nauseum and so it bears repeating here, but just this one time.  This is my story.  I am not wildly excited over trailnames feeling there is something about them that is a touch adolescent.  (The truth is I don't have any talent for them.)  Becasue I enjoy cooking, I made most of the food I took with me on the Trail and as you might guess someone tried to stick me with "Chef" early on.  I wouldn't have it.  "Chef" is too grandiose for what I do and obviously too plain all at the same time.  In a half-hearted attempt to enter into the spirit of trailnames, I tried "Cooking With" for a while but no one got it. I decided to remain nameless and I discovered that it didn't detract from my hike in the least.  When I arrived in Gorham, NH my fate changed.  One of the foods I had in my maildrops was grits - real grits, whole grits, the kind of grits that made people ever eat them in the first place, not that denature!
d, gooey, pasty ballast sold by Quaker in your local supermarket.  One rainy afternoon at Hiker's Paradise after extolling the glories of genuine grits to Mid-westerners in attempt to unload some of them because too many packages of them had caught up to me in my maildrops, the mid-westerners declined but said, "You'd make a hell of a grits salesman though."  The thought immediately popped out, "Maybe that's my trailname?"  So I was called "Grits" for a day and then I decided that plain "Grits" by itself, like the actual food, was too...well, plain.  I added the "Leather" in attempt to raise my stature among the other hikers and to create an aura of menace and threat, just the kind of kinky sex appeal that grits deserve.

My trailname never really caught on.  I can't say why.  I figured either by the time we reached Gorham trailnames had become less important or people were too frightened to use it.

To Teresa and her playing with my "Balls" she should know that the possession of balls never kept anyone from being a Queen.

Curtis Balls

Jan Leitschuh <janl2@mindspring.com> wrote:

Yes, and what's up with the "Leather Grits" thing? Curtis, you never tell me
ANYthing!

> And our new lister (I am not funny) Curtis' name reminds me of a little
> saying that might bring a smile to your faces, ladies:  "Balls!" said the
> Queen, "..if I had 'em, I'd be King!"
> -Teresa

What kind of a silly Trailname is Leather Grits?
Sounds vaguely menacing and highly inedible. Seriously chewy, at the very
least.
 And certainly Not Serious.

--
    Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.