Cell phone effectiveness (was Re: [at-l] Trip report (Long but unusual en...

I've heard lots of folks say that their cell phones only work sporadically or
if they stand on one foot with an arm up in the air and they are chanting.  I
have a significant other and a munchkin that like to hear from me when I hike
so I carry a cell phone with me for quick calls home and emergencies
(although I've had the same thought that it may only be useful when I truly
need it as a hurled object at the bears).  It's off except when I make quick
calls in to home base or, as in October, when I need to find a ride during an
aborted hike.  It has worked everywhere I've tried it except in remote areas
of WV (like the Allegheny Trail near Durbin).  I've used it on the AT at
Springer, Hog Pen Gap, Standing Indian, Beech Gap, Mount Rogers, Gathland,
Pine Knob, Lehigh Gap, etc.  I've also had it surprizingly work in remote
areas of the George Washington NF on the VA/WV border (blew my mind).  Maybe
it depends on your phone and the service you're on?  Don't know.  Just a
thought.

Black&blue