[at-l] Proper adult discourse

   I was going to stay out of the contining discussion re. A.N.W.R., as my
main interest in the discussion was enouraging it to be discussed in the
first place, despite the efforts of several folks who took it upon
themselves to announce that it was an improper or inappropriate discussion.
This is not the first time that certain folks have taken it upon themselves
to dictate what should or should not be discussed here.  It's happened
before.  It happened again this week.  On a list that continually prides
itself as being an open forum, it should not happen again.

  I fully intended to stay out of the discussion, except I feel compelled to
make one brief comment.   In one of several blustery resent posts, Mr. Owen
said, and I quote, "At this point in time--and contrary to Baltimore Jack's
misquotes--I also consider drilling to be unnecessary and undesirable."

  Note to Mr. Owen:  If you feel I've misquoted something, please feel free
to be specific.  If you feel I've said something in error, please feel free
to tell us specifically what you object to.  If you feel I've said something
untrue, please feel free to make it clear what you find objectionable---at
least give me the courtesy to know what the hell you're talking about, in
order that I may, if I so choose, respond to it.  Your comment, regarding my
alleged misquotes, coming as it did without specifics, merely comes across
as cheap shot snottiness.

   I assure you and everyone on the list that if it's adequately displayed
to me, with sufficient substantiation, that I've made mis-statements,
mis-quotes, or mistakes, I'll happily retract them.  But to merely accuse me
of such misquotes, and to do so in a snide, nasty way, without a semblance
of substantiation, is a remarkably immature form of discourse.  If you wish
to criticize something I've said, sir, please be adult enough to specify
what it is that you object to, so as to give me the opportunity to respond.

   I find it remarkable that Mr. Owen feels the need to continually remind
us---no, to admonish us----that we should "Walk softly."  I suggest that he
take his own advice, however he might want to replace the "walk softly" with
"Talk softly."

   There's a way to have rational, respectful discourse on a public Internet
forum, but making vague, rude, incomplete, and unsupported statements about
other posters is decidedly not one of them.