[at-l] A.N.W.R. VOTE - not trail related.

A friend of mine obtained a degree in Sociology.  I once asked him what that
amounted to; what had he actually learned pursuing that field.  He, without
hesitation, advised, "Sociology is an elaboration of the obvious."

Someone posted a link about "Godwin's Law."  (Thank you.)   I edited the
contents severely for my own use.  I then noticed this also was clearly "an
elaboration of the obvious."  You can effectively end the value of a thread
through several different means.

The current "A.N.W.R. VOTE" thread is an example.  One post begins by
telling us we "... should consider the fact that ..."  This "fact" turns out
to be only an assertion.  Then follow terms which leave room for argument
(Forced, Most of, Mainly, No control, Converted, No responsibility, Plenty,
Manipulated, Solely, I suspect, Prevented, Forced, All, Blocked, Led to,
Forced, Snowed under, Endless, Blocked, Have to).

This topic is so large, our "sound bite" posts don't deal with it
effectively.  People have sufficient space to espouse information they
collected which supports their predispositions.  They then want to get out
their entire message and, in that attempt, include so many assumptions or
"wiggle words", which they use innocently as their shorthand, no one is
going to invest the effort to challenge them all.  If an assertion contains
a sufficient number of assumptions, therefore, the assertion remains
unchallenged, or at least ineffectively challenged.   Informed and reasoned
discourse doesn't follow.

Does anyone know a mechanism to address an argument, breaking it down piece
by piece, perhaps into a series of "conversations", arguing about
assumptions which arise and elaborating upon differing and valid points of
view?

Just thinking.

Steve