[at-l] my water bladder cleaning adventures

At 03:31 PM 12/1/01 -0500, Paul Miller wrote:
>I have an odd bug spray deet flavor or maybe an old pack taste to my water
>in the bladder after about 15 minutes. ...clip...
>it is pretty odd stuff and I don't really know what to do. I might let
>the bleach soak for a while and if that does not fix it I am thinking of
>calling up the manufacture and figuring out what they suggest. I have NEVER
>put beer, drink mix, sugar, fruit juice, pee, anything other then water
>inside it. it is pretty odd I think. I am led to guess the inside grows an
>odd algae or something bad tasting I don't know what to think.

What brand is it?  Older Dromedary bladders had a lining that acquired a
bad taste after a while.  I believe they changed the way they made them 2-3
years back because of that problem.  Even though you only put water in it,
if it wasn't distilled water, it probably contained some
microorganisms.  Left to stand they could produce a bad tasting/smelling
residue and if the lining was a softer plastic or latex type material it
could become imbedded in the lining and impervious to a bleach/water rinse
in the same way that putting flavored drinks in a Nalgene bottle can impart
a permanent odor/flavor to the bottle.  If that is your problem you should
look at replacing the bladder.  Platypus makes some good ones that clean
well.  I haven't looked at other brands lately.

sAunTerer