[at-l] A.N.W.R. Vote and political activism.....

    Just wanted to take a few minutes and thank Rami for sending this along.
  He's to be commended for it.  Thanx also to the folks who sent in other
addresses containing more material, so that interested folks can get more
information.  The better informed people are, the better.

    As to the folks who criticized Rami for introducing such matters to the
list, please, gimme a break. He prefaced his comments by announcing that
they weren't "Trail Related" and invited uninterested parties to delete his
message.  For heaven's sake, people, half the stuff on AT-L on any given day
isn't exactly trail related, or certainly not A.T. related, yet these folks
aren't taken to task for introducing "improper" or inappropriate posts.

    I remember some months ago, I sent along a simlar post to the list
urging interested parties to join the efforts to prevent Gale Norton's
elevation to heading the Interior Department. I felt that her track record
made her manifestly inappropriate for the job, and the past few months has
given me no reason to doubt I was wrong in my original  judgment.   I sent
my post to AT-L in the belief that folks ostensibly interested in the A.T.
might want to help block the nomination of a sworn enemy to the environment
to such an important position.  Wow, was I surprised----among the more
memorable replies I got was one from one of AT-L's self-appointed guardians
of propriety, who smugly informed me that that the material was improper,
and that AT-L wasn't the right place for it. (This on a week when half the
week's posts dealt with chit-chat, gossip, jokes, chili recipes, plans for a
"virtual" get-together amongst friends, and so on, in other words, a
perfectly typical week in which an awful lot of posts had little or nothing
to do with the A.T.)

     Anyway, hats off to Rami, and I urge interested parties to get more
information, and, if they wish, to contact their senators.  Non-interested
parties can do as they wish, tho I must say that professing  interest in a
National Scenic Hiking Trail seems rather at odds with supporting oil
drilling in one of the world's great Nature preserves---how would these same
folks feel about oil drilling or strip mining on the Trail iteself?  After
all, we need the energy, right?  Or is only OK if it's far away in Alaska?

    And lastly, a few comments on one of Rami's critics, who mentioned that
there was nothing underhanded about the Alaska drilling being an add-on
rider to another bill---Rami's strident critic said that this wasn't
unusual, "It's the way business is done" in Washington.  Well, all I gotta
say to this is that it IS underhanded and dis-honest to vote on legislation
this way, and the fact that "it's the way business is done" or that both
Parties do it is irrelevant:  It doesn't make it right, it doesn't make it
excusable, and it sure as hell doesn't mean we should just let it go.  This
same critic also said that drilling will take place in the A.N.W.P. sooner
or later anyway, so we may as well do it now.  Gee, how brave and spirited
an attitude!  Right up there with "Most of Maine is gonna end up clearcut
and developed anyway, so why fight it!" or "The ski resort people have all
the money and influence; if they want to develop a particular mountain,
they've eventually gonna get their way, so why waste time fighting them?"

    With such fainthearted attitudes as this, environmental protection
measures in this country would end.   Across the country, and for decades,
most of the significant legislation and protection initiatives came about
because, and thru massive public support.  Whether it was saving the
Everglades, or making sure the EPA was allowed to do its job, or forming new
National Parks and Forests----all of this and more was achieved because
enough private citizens got involved with the issues at hand, and more to
the point, they let their legislators know how they felt. And sometimes,
they got involved in causes that were widely viewed as "lost ones."  To
merely snivel "It's gonna happen sooner or later anyway, so let's do it
properly now and get it over with!" is nothing more than abject surrender.
The drilling is NOT a foregone conclusion----and it's not a black/white,
Democrat/Republican issue---even such arch-conservatives as Bob Smith in New
Hampshire acknowledges that it's a dreadful idea, and would, in fact, buy us
very little time as far as increasing our petroleum reserves.  I think
Smith, as head of the Committee on the environment, is probably more
knowledgable about this than the "expert" lister who felt otherwise, and who
stated that those suggesting that the Alaska oil offerred a very short-term
supply were nothing better than liars.  Sorry, I'll go with John Kerry and
Bob Smith, the Wilderness Society, the Sierra Club, the League of
Conservation Voters, on this one.

    Ahhh, enough of this.  Rami, you did just fine bringing this matter to
the list.  There are undoubtedly those who feel otherwise.  They're entitled
to their opinions, but you are just as entitled to yours.  If information
like this can't be posted to a List allegedly devoted to a National Scenic
Hiking Trail, and can't be posted to those who allegedly have an interest in
preserving the natural wonders of this country, then where, I wonder, is an
appropriate place for such comments?

     In closing---it doesn't happen often, but occasionally the real world,
in the form of national or international politics, intrudes on this list.
Those who have no interest in getting involved in such matters have that
right.  However, those who take it upon themselves to invite others to get
educated and get involved on environmental matters that affect us all, well,
they are to be applauded.  Nice work, Rami.