[at-l] Murders...just a question

At 10:30 AM 11/29/01 -0500, Felix wrote:
>Does anyone know any 'facts' about trail-related
>deaths/murders by the numbers?  I mean, how many people a
>year die on the AT? How many are murdered? How many are men?
>Womyn? Anyone know?  (I know this is hard to be accurate
>about...cuz, what exactly is 'trail-related'? How close to
>the trail makes it 'trail-related'?)

Roland Mueser's book deals with murder too (page 134) but he departs from
his statistical approach on this subject.  He does mention some specific
instances but apparently the question of "how close to the trail..." short
circuited any attempt to list statistics.  He does conclude that it is
relatively rare by any normal world comparison and that it is neither
advisable or useful to carry a gun.

sAunTerer