[at-l] Hiking poles

Rcli3@aol.com wrote:

> There was a great post several years back about a hiking
Pole with a
> name like Stanyzk Czslowqxzcy.  Seems he was an
exceptionally strong
> hiker.  If anyone remembers the post, I'd like to read it
again.
>     Blister Sister
>
> ####  I don't remember the post but by the sound of the
name Stanyzk
> Czslowqxzcy it had to be either Felix or Datto.  They are
the only
ones that
> could come up with such a name.  It could have been both
of them at
the same
> time.  It could have been one or the other or else the
other one.
Maybe they
> are the same person.  I think the word for the day should
be
"conundrum."

This may be what Betty Sue was talkin' about...(I think):

> I am looking into the pros and cons of hiking with poles.

My dad was both a pro and a con because of hiking with
Poles. In the
late
60's, DaddaBingBang (as we call my father) hiked with Gordie
Malinowski
(Trailname: Stretch) and John Worzena (Trailname: Ke
kahaaweski). Well,
Stretch's dad owned a semi-pro hockey team in Saginaw,
Michigan. The
Saginaw Gears, they were. At some point in the hike, Stretch
offered my
father and Ke kahaaweski jobs with his father's team. As
luck would
have
it, my dad was pretty good with the slapshot. Ke kahaaweski
was good at
taking pucks to the face. So, for the winter of the 61-62
IHL hockey
season, my dad was the starting center for the Saginaw
Gears. Ke
kahaaweski was the starting goalie. They won the eastern
division and
swept Kalamazoo to advance to the semi-finals. They were
beaten in 6
games by the evil Flint Generals. After the game, my dad and
Ke
kahaaweski went on an all-nighter. Dad ended up in jail, mom
ended up
pregnant with me, and Ke kahaaweski  ended up selling used
cars in
Muskegon. So, I highly recommend hiking with two poles.
(Mine may have
been the ugliest two poles on the trail last year. But, they
were free,
and old ski poles to boot.)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy