[at-l] Re: thru-hike budget

Don't know what to say, but as some former thru-hiker would say you only
need $1 per mile to do a first thru-hike, and less for each hike there
after.

I can attest to the $1 per mile, actually less.  I thru-hiked in 1997, and
spent $2000 during my 6.5 month thru-hike.  That included a week in Bar
Harbor and the ALDHA Gathering afterwards.  That cost did not include
equipment.  I had the transportation there taken care of and ended up
getting a ride home from the Gathering afterwards that all ended up saving
me money in the end.  I think I walked in the back door with no money on me.

I wouldn't say I went on a deprived hike by any means.  I did buy all my
food on the trail versus having it sent to me.  I spent numerous nights in
town and ate out most of the times that I was in town.  By any means it all
depends on your lifestyle as to how much you will end up spending on a
thru-hike.

Ryan "MEANT 2B" Crawford
Sunapee, NH