Re[2]: [at-l] Mt Katahdin Summit Forecast Site

TJ asks, "I understand how they can forecast Mt. Washington, what with the
Observatory up there and all. But I wonder how can they do Katahdin, what with
no  reporting stations closer than 20 miles away..."

One reason may be that they are simply piggy backing on the National Weather
Service, which has managed to be able to predict conditions in Maine quite well
without very many sophisticating observatories. We have one station in Portland
and one in Caribou.

 Katahdin is roughly in the middle. I suspect the predictions are made easier by
 the fact that the same storm patterns that give Washington it's reputation
 (probably false) of having the worse weather in America, keep swinging north
 and passing over the summit of Katahdin.

 A few storm systems are deflected by the New England land mass and escape out
 to sea around Cape Cod. Those that escape that fate swing over Washington and
 eventually over Katahdin, most times.

 Weary