[at-l] recycled memories..

Here are some cut-and-pastes of some posts I made ruffly two
years ago...I'm feeling lazy, so I'm not going to change the
posts at all:

(from a post of 11/23/99)

365 days ago, I was walking the entire distance to the
Cloverdale PO,
on
the edge of a busy highway. NO MAIL!!! I walked every foot
back. The
only good thing about the trip to the PO is: On the way
back, I was
able
to stop at a sporting goods store and buy a pair of
Pseudo-Speedos to
be
used as undertrousers. I put them on at the first powerline
crossing
(just across that bridge with the posts in the middle of
it.) They fit
snugly against my tight ace. (Woooaaa, wrong list.) Anyway,
for some
reason, that day turned out to be an emotional one for me. I
remember
crying a few times. Divorces, break-ups and Steeler losses
will do
that,
I guess. The winds at Tinker Cliffs were very strong. The
view was
still
wonderful. As I was the last of my group to leave town that
day, I was
the last to make it to Campbell Shelter. It was just past
dark and I
could see the glow of LL's MSR-Boeing. 'Twas good to be
home.

(and, from 11/24/99)

Well, a year ago this a.m. had Calamity Jane walking back to
the
shelter, after a trip to the privy, saying "That's a nice
privy. And,
there's toilet paper, too." That is one of my favorite
quotes of
all-time. Sundown left the shelter before the rest of us as
he needed
get to the Catawba P.O. LL, CJ and I spent some time on
MacAfee Knob
doing what you do on MacAfee Knob. On our way down the hill
to 311, a
good friend of mine, Southpaw, met us with snacks. He took
me to the
General Store for lunch. On our way down the hill, we passed
Sundown
in
a pick up truck going back to the Trail. He had made the
P.O. After
spending an hour or two eating and talking to Southpaw, we
went back
up
the hill to the parking lot where the AT crosses 311. As I'm
getting
out
of the car, I noticed Sundown running down the Trail, from
the south,
the parking lot, with no pack. "What's wrong, Sundown?" I
asked.
"Every
f*ing thing." Seems his package had not arrived at the P.O.
He had
stashed his pack and RAN down the Trail looking for LL and
CJ. He was
going to get the address of Stoat's sister in DC (where we
were going
spend Thanksgiving) and have his mom mail the package there,
instead.
Once we figured out an alternative, he calmed down and
things were
fine.
Somewhere south of Dragon's Tooth, it got dark. There was a
dog (I'm
guessing) on the Trail in front of me that I would
'scare-up' about
every 10 minutes. I never saw it, just heard the leaves
rustling. We
camped just across the road where the big creek is (Trout
Creek?). It
got COLD in the valley that night. The next day, Stoat was
picking us
up
for food, rest, food and showers.

--