[at-l] tin can stove instructions anyone?

I concur entirely with Freighttrain's assessment of Photon's
stove as the best, in spite of the fact that I haven't done a
head-to-head boil-off against a Henderson/TinCanStoveMan stove.

I built mine close to Photon's set-up, but not exactly: first, I
completed the top portion's burner holes *before* assembly with
the bottom, which allowed me to countersink the fuel jets both
outside *and* inside. Even though the jets remained the same
size, the counter-sinking really increases flame height,
*apparently* to good effect. (In other words, it's not just
burning through fuel faster...) Countersinking also makes poking
the holes a *snap*.

The second primary difference with my set-up is the in regard to
the pot stand and windscreen. My set-up uses a sheet of
aluminuminuminum foil within the circle of chicken wire [pot
stand] as the only windscreen. This has the advantage of being
small enough to fit entirely inside the pot for packing, but
with the disadvantage of losing control/contact of all the heat
rising up the sides of the pot.

The third difference between my set-up and Photon's stems from
the second: losing the base of the pot stand means I've lost the
ability to preheat the stove during lighting, making the task of
getting the stove to equilibrium operating temperature a tricky
*and* time-consuming task. Solved that one just last night: I
cut the bottom off of another soda can (*the*same*size* as those
that comprise the stove), leaving four 1" high fingers evenly
space around the base. To do a no-muss, one-match lighting of
the stove, I pour a hint of fuel into this preheat ring, place
the fueled stove on top, within the fingers, light the bottom
ring and the top, and viola, she's a huffin'.

My whole set-up, including Walmart Grease Pot, lighter, spoon,
pot scraper, ToeClip(c) Pot Lifter, ToeJam(c) Pot Cozy,
ToeRing(c) Stove Preheater, ToeStand(c) Pot Stand/Windscreen,
and the HotToe(c) modified Photon stove, weighs in at a hefty 7
ounces, will boil water for a double Lipton dinner faster than
you can say "Mama Lipton, where's my clean sox?" with less than
2 ounces of fuel, and, well, is just plain kewl.

BTW, the ToeClip, ToeJam, ToeRing, ToeStand, and HotToe are all
Sloetoe(c) copyright products, and are being manufactured by
SturdyBoy(tm) Industries for global distribution. If you use any
of these ideas, please send a nickel to:

Sloetoe, Titan of Industry
SturdyBoy Industries
DeGrubbin Way
Lemme, In

--- Abe <freighttrain7@home.com> wrote:
> here is the address :
> http://members.home.net/d.h.j/stove/HighPerfAlcoholStove.html
> I think this is by far the best design out there, I get 1-1
1/2 cups to a full boil in little over 3 min but I built mine
with a nut , epoxy welded to the inside on the top section.  so
i can screw the screw into place making the unit pressurized.

to build an alcohol stove...

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!