[at-l] non-topic computer question.

On Monday, November 26, 2001 7:24 PM, Sly wrote:
Anyway to link two home computers and get internet access to both with a
single dial-up modem aol account?

	I wouldn't recommend it, but yes there are several ways.  The easiest thing
you can
	do (assuming from your note that you want to share the internet connection
rather
	than hard drive content??) is to create a second account which is well
within your AOL
	account guidelines, and set that one up on the other (also assuming it has
it's own modem
	 computer.  That doesn't solve the "both online at the same time" issue,
but 56k isn't
	much to work with on the front end.

What about if it was a cable connection?

	This I would recommend, however you must be sure of the charges.  Some
companies will
	charge you an extra fee for the IP address for the second computer.  This
is usually small,
	Comcast would charge me $6.95 a month in addition to the $38.00 I already
pay if I wanted
	a second 'puter online.

As far as the "home network" goes, there are, as I mentioned, several ways
to do it depending on your
operating system.  Windows ME and XP offer a simplified "wizard" to guide
you through it.  You will
need some extra equipment to accomplish it.  Most
electro-super-duper-everything stores sell "home
networking self install kits" with everything you'll need as well as some
helpful software.

If you want more specific help, I can provide it.  Just let me know what
you've got (computer stuff and
operating system info) and what you want to know.

-r