[at-l] SAR (was Murder in the White Mountains)

And Snogrog quoted the news article which said:
>A series of line searches, where people form a line several feet apart and
>look carefully
>within their path, also took place Wednesday and Thursday

This is what is done in the Adirondacks also.  Initial searches are done by
the Rangers.  These people know the area and can cover a lot of ground
fast.  They are very good at it.  I don't have the stats but most lost
hikers/hunters are either found by Rangers within 24 hours or they walk out
on their own.

Only if the initial search doesn't find the lost party do they call in the
volunteers.  The volunteers are called "Search and Rescue" but that does
not mean we do any medical stuff or even first aid.  It isn't appropriate
to require every search person to be an EMT.  Our job is just to *find*
them.  To do that we literally search every square inch of ground.  If
there is a swamp, we go through it.  If there is blowdown, we go through
it.  Brier patch?  We go through it.  We weren't told to look for anything
as gory as body parts. It is assumed that they are in one piece but not
necessarily conscious and able to hear us and respond to us.  We look at
every square inch for evidence of someone having been there.  Candy
wrappers, cigarette butts, bits of clothing snagged on brush,
anything.  Each team has a leader in radio contact with the search
base.  Everything found is checked out.  Were they carrying that kind of
candy, do they smoke that brand of cigarette, were they wearing a dark blue
jacket?  Searched areas are marked with cotton string to avoid re-searching
any ground already covered. When the lost person is found we verify their
condition, give them water, food, warm drinks, dry clothing, whatever is
needed.  If they can get out with our help, we get them out.  If they
can't, we call in heavy help,  Rangers with basket stretchers, EMTs,
choppers, whatever is appropriate to the situation.

It's a slow, tedious process and is complicated when hikers don't tell
anyone what their plans are because we don't really know which direction to
go from the vehicle and as you get farther from the vehicle the area grows
exponentially.  When we show up Rangers will have already checked trail and
shelter registers in their initial sweep to try and get a fix on their last
known location and narrow the search.  If the hiker didn't tell anyone
their plans or write in the registers it is literally like looking for a
needle in a haystack.

sAunTerer