[at-l] Searching for the Divine

I don't know if I have the words to talk about this - it is a subject that
is deep in my heart, too deep for words most of the time.  Thinking about it
brings so many memories - so many moments of utterly sublime joy, certainty,
gratitude, peace . . . usually while I was on a mountain or in the woods or
wandering the deserts.

I only rarely feel the presence of God when I am with people - occasionally
at a Taize service, in the weaving of music and prayer, or at times when
people are sharing strong emotions and I can see the presence of God working
among them -- but in the beauty of the mountains, I have often known myself
to be in the presence of God.

I have stood atop the mountain, shouting YEA to the universe.  I have walked
down the trail with tears running down my face because I was so grateful
that I was there, right then.  I have sat silently, reflecting on the
concept, "Be still and know that I am God" and known it for Truth.

On a lighter note (if you haven't tuned out already) when I did my first
thruhike, I was asked once if I prayed.  The next day I went over Kinsman,
in utter terror at the rock climbing with my very huge and heavy pack
pulling me backwards and keeping me off balance.  As I climbed, I whispered,
"Please, please, please."  And when I reached the top, "Oh, Thank you, thank
you."  And I thought of the question the day before.

Yes, I pray.  Mostly it is to say thank you, but occasionally it comes down
to, "I'm not sure I can make it on my own, can you help?"  And always the
answer is Yes.  I have been very blessed in my life, in a lot of ways.  I
know this, and I remember it daily.  I also know that it isn't because I
deserve it, but just because God is good.

I chose my trail name, Spirit Walker, because I knew that I wanted my hiking
to be more than fresh air and exercise, or an exercise in logistics.  The
name reminds me of what I am out there for -- though I don't often come
close to living up to it.  Some days, fresh air and exercise are good
enough.  But the moments - satori moments - do happen.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Ginny