[at-l] Searching for the Divine

I am not a religious person, but something really important came over me
during our 1999 hike.

Here is an extract from our Journal.

*************************
We arrived at Jenny Knob shelter around noon hour and found COURT DOG
and RAINDANCER here. We had done 10 miles that morning.

I walked down a gentle slope in front of the shelter to a stream where I
sat and filtered water. I noticed the trees with their new leaves and
listened to the birds and to the sound of rushing water. It was very
relaxing. I returned to the picnic table in front of the shelter, sat
down in the sun, continuing to absorb the peacefulness of this place.
Finally, I announced to everyone that I had just noticed that we were in
the woods. We had been hiking in the woods for two months, and we had
adjusted to being out there day after day, but for some reason it had
not really sunk in until now. It was likely because we were goal
oriented all the time, usually aiming for a spot for the night, and then
busy doing our chores, planning ahead and socializing.

PA

www.hikers99.homestead.com