[at-l] Feb on AT - Are crampons necessary?

Tim it will depend on the weather whither you will "need" some sort of
crampon or not. But in winter I always carry the small instep cleats sold
by Campmor. With a heel strap added and a small carrying bag that fits on
my hip belt the pare weighs under 6 ounces. I have hiked on very
difficult icy trail with relative ease using them. They will last as much
as 300 miles with a little rebending with a rock. I suggest you buy a
pair and try them out before hand.

woodelf