[at-l] Meteor Watching

Had a most excellent morning of meteor watching. Went
to a trail head maybe 10 miles outside of Boulder, and
the light pollution dropped significantly.  Timed it
right, because the skies are now clouding up, the
temps are dropping, and it has the look and feel of
snow on the way.

I have been officially dubbed "Mom" by the crew I hang
with. Have a habit of bringing extra clothes for
people (which always seem to be needed), along with
food and stuff to make hot drinks.  Since it was
somewhat  chilly up in the foot hills, packed my
Coleman stove, made a huge stock pot of hot water and
made sure everyone had some hot drinks. (Though my Mom
never did provide a dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream to
go with the cocoa.... What can I say, I take a
progressive approach. :-) )

The night was spectacular. No clouds. The only light
pollution was towards the valley where Boulder is. The
meteors were green and blue, some leaving trails that
lasted for thirty seconds or more.

Out here in Colorado, the show peaked at about 3:30.
Shortly after that, I dozed off for a little while.
Forty five minutes later, someone said they were cold,
let's do breakfast.  On the way back to Boulder,
caught the very start of the sunrise.  THe day
continued and had a great time talking over our eggs,
and somehow started talking about Waffle Houses. For a
Yankee, my acquaintance with this southern institution
is a bit too much....then the conversation drifted to
Catholic schools, work, old cartoons and other topics
that make perfect sense when almost everyone in the
group has been up all night and is wired on caffeine
only. But somehow it seemed a fitting way to end a
great day. Great celestial display ending with fun
conversation among people who are becoming good
friends.

Mags (who just woke up about an hour ago...)

=====