[at-l] The sky is falling! The sky is falling!...

In a message dated 11/18/2001 11:10:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
daveh@psknet.com writes:

> The
> thing that I saw repeatedly (which I had never noticed before) was what
> appeared to be a very bright thin line broaden to a wide fuzzy line go back
> to a thin line then broaden to a wide fuzzy line, again.

We saw that too!  I picked Bubinga (Dee) up after work yesterday evening and
we drove to Wayah Bald. The plan was to drive west until we found a mountain
top that wasn't being affected by forestfire smoke. Wayah Bald was definitely
that place.  We got to the bald at about 11pm.  There were only a few cars in
the parking lot and as we walked into the observation tower area, there was
no one else there. Boy, was that deceiving!  We unrolled our bags, took off
our heavy outerwear and crawled in to settle down for an evening of star
gazing. Even at that hour, there were meteors streaming through the skies.
About 1am, I (we) saw something I  had never seen before and I am not sure I
can expect to see it again. A HUGE streak came down the western edge of the
sky and it changed all colors of the prism as it burned. The streak it left
was in the sky for over 10 minutes before it totally dissipated!  I could
have gone home right then and been satisfied, but the show continued. To pass
the time,  we named everyone we knew that had hiked over that very spot. Boy
that was a long list!   We dozed and gazed for a few hours until the
spectacular show mentioned by everyone else happened at 4am.

The show on the ground was almost as fun as the show in the sky. We startled
quite a number of people who obviously didn't expect to find two people in
sleeping bags lying on the ground. But we were toasty while they were all
dressed in heavy coats, boots, hats and mittens.   At one point, Bubinga
looked over at me and said "Do you feel a bit underdressed?"  (Maybe you had
to be there...)  Probably a dozen people came and went with kids, dogs,
cameras, etc. so we didn't have the crowds other places did, but the flow of
people was constant all night.  The sunrise breakfast this morning from the
top of the observation tower was the  perfect way to end a perfect night.

Gear Note:   Both our bags had the outer shells soaked with dewdrops but we
stayed warm and dry. The Pertec coating TNF puts on their down bags seems to
work very well.

POG

Work like you don't need money, Love like you've never been hurt, And dance
like no one's watching. - unknown

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---