[at-l] Searching for the Divine

Hi,

I just finished reading an article in the most recent Reader=92s Digest=20
entitled =93Searching for the Divine=94 and it kicked off some thoughts=
 within=20
me [which is always dangerous.]  When I met Circuit Rider on the LT/AT this=
=20
Fall, he said that he was interested the meaning of =91the quiet place=92 in=
=20
his religious experience and 'wilderness' recorded in the Bible.  Now , I=20
don't expect us to become theologians on this list but=85  I began=
 wondering=85

What drives us out to the trail, to the mountains, to the wilderness?  We=20
talk a lot about equipment and physically getting prepared in long distance=
=20
hiking.  We discuss and argue differing concepts on what the AT should be=20
and about the continuing negative [and some positive]  impacts on the=20
AT.  We discuss and argue about personalities.  But, one item we most=20
always enjoy reading [I guess I should say =91I enjoy=92] are the=
 experiences=20
of other hikers.  Reading journals and portions of journals carries us with=
=20
them on their hike.  We laugh and cry at the humor and the hard work, etc.,=
=20
etc.

But what calls US back to hike?  Sure there=92s many reasons we can say, but=
=20
I haven't heard on this list, yet, a =91transcending or transcendental=20
experience'  which might have to do with our 'calling back.'  Surely, there=
=20
must have been a moment on your thru-hike or another hike where you were=20
=91struck by something.=92   Something which came your way by utter=20
surprise!  A flower, a bird, a sound, a thought, a view, a=20
vision=85  Something which, perhaps, changed your way of thinking.

I have a suspicion that, having been surprised by such a moment, it has=20
become a major drawing back for you to continue to long distance hike and=20
even re-hike portions of trails which you've hiked many times over -=20
perhaps to recapture and remember the moment[s].

I thought that maybe these moments would be nice to share with each=20
other.  So, I venture forth this post.  If you allow me, let me share one=20
such moment that I experienced [it=92ll be short] :

It was after a September thunderstorm on the AT that I repacked my tent and=
=20
clambered back onto the trail.  As I climbed onto a ridge - sweating=20
profusely as I did - all of a sudden I was struck by the beauty of the late=
=20
afternoon sun pouring through a break in the clouds lighting up the=20
green-ness of the foliage which surrounded me - all around.  I stopped.  My=
=20
jaw must've hung open as I drank in the beauty.  I remember saying out loud=
=20
something like, =93God, this is so beautiful.  Thank you.=94   No sooner had=
 I=20
thought those words when a light puff of breeze moved two small tree=20
branches -  bringing two leaves against my face - one on each cheek.  Each=
=20
dumped their content of cool water onto my face.  Was this a =93You=92re=20
welcome=94?  I dunno, but at that moment, I shed some tears.

"...the music of the songs I love is found in the open air."
         From a Danish children's song.

http://www.interviewwithgod.net/popup.html

Martin R. Fors [marty aka rusty]=20

multipart/alternative