[at-l] Re: SHT

Where to start, where to start....

Lessee, there's the first backpacking trip I did where
I took an entire gallon can of Coleman fuel for a 3
day trip.

The time I tried carrying 5 gallons of water straight
up the mountain from the water source for Abingdon Gap
Shelter.

The time I fell out of the pickup truck outside
Franklin, NC, and dislocated my shoulder.  (heh, I
made last month's ATN in the article on Uncle Johnny's
on that one...)

The time we pitched our tent in a gulley the night of
a constant rain.  Oh yeah, and I had a cotton sleeping
bag for that one too...

The best one I _saw_ _someone else_ do was when Ormmit
(later Vanilla Thunder) tried to get a fire going by
pouring my leftover Coleman fuel onto a "not quite
out" fire.  Here's a tip: if the coals are still
glowing, don't pour Coleman fuel on them...

The time I bought 300 packs of oatmeal for my thru
hike, then deciding on day 3 that oatmeal was the
worst invention on the planet.  (at least the instant
crap I was attempting to eat.  I shoulda bought
grits...)

The time I forgot to pack ANY eating utensils and ate
my Liptons with some "chopsticks" made from the
firewood.  (Luckily, my cousin has soup and just drank
it from the mug.)

The time I burned my hand picking up a piece of
firewood that was too close to the fire.  I jumped
around screaming holding my thumb.  After 10 minutes,
I calmed down, reached over and picked the same durn
piece of wood up with my other hand.

The time I broke a rock trying to crush a tuna can.
(Ok, it _was_ sandstone, but still.  I BROKE A
FRIGGING ROCK TRYING TO CRUSH A CAN!!)  What makes
that really funny is I was about to stomp on it with
my boots, and decided at the last minute to use that
rock I saw...

=====
--
Schuyler Stultz