[at-l] Stupid Hiker Trick

Stupid hiker tricks, huh?

I gotta bag full of them...  Let's see, where do I start?

I was in high school and trying cross country skiis for the first time (I
was not a hiker yet).  It was below zero and I had a wonderful time until I
came inside and realized that I had gotten frostnip on the tip of one
finger.  Oops!  That finger of the glove had a tiny little hole in it but it
was enough to be the difference between staying warm enough and losing a few
layers of skin on that finger.

On my first overnight hike, hut-to-hut in the Whites, I got borderline
hypothermic in 45 degree rain.  It was enough for me to ask my friend to
watch out for me but because the day ended at a hut where I could warm up,
it never became more than annoying when I had to pee and my fingers weren't
working to undo the button and zipper on my shorts...  If I had been camping
that night instead of going into a relatively warm, dry building, that would
have been a problem...

Left my boots in the driveway once and didn't realize 'til I was an hour
from home.  Oops!  (Actually, that was a stupid hiking *partner* trick - NOT
MY FAULT - I had put them in the car, he took them out momentarily while

Stopped at Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to for the night.  It was raining lightly.
Couldn't get across the river in front of us or behind us for the next three
days.  Hurricane Floyd had come through.

I can think of more but think that's enough for now...  ;-)

Ah well.  Live and learn.  And yes, I think I did learn something from each
of these stupid tricks.  Ugh!

Mara
Stitches, GAME99